Today we discussed the Seven Principles of Unitarianism. And here they are;
We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all;
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
We had a very interesting discussion about how to deal with someone who does not believe in them. If that person does not believe in Justice, equality or compassion, then that person poisons the well. That person cannot be given full tolerance, because, if so, they would use that space to take away the rights of people. A sticky situation.